meditations on morning tea

meditations on morning tea
the kettle calls
for me 
every morning
and I greet it 
with pitted skin,
a yawning red mouth. 

the hair I weave 
around a fingertip--
falling,
smeared
like hasty brushstrokes
across the kitchen floor. 

the world is hungry, 
overgrown weeds
spilling over the curb. 
nibbling at my face
imploringly,
can't I spare something
to eat, to give?

the kettle whistles, 
impatient for tea. 

ginger, chamomile, 
cardamom pods
I turn, 
prayer beads 
from palm to palm.

they say 
the finest tea 
has two leaves and a bud. 
an aroma that unfurls, 
lingering presence 
over your shoulder. 

i wouldn't know
for sure. 
they all taste of 
parchment paper, 
the hands of farm workers
i'll never meet.  

green, dissolving
into a mossy pond. 

to think
that we fought wars 
over 
the solitude of morning. 

in answer, 
steam rises 
from my mug 
and settles,   
a film of dust 
warming my face. 

Comments