leave me exit wounds

leave me exit wounds
you know, 
the stones you gave me
are still in my pockets, 
their dirt licking
my palms. 
leaving bruises, 
ugly purple nothings
I press
if only to remember.

and oh, 
the sun is out today,
like it hasn't been 
in a while. 
I didn't notice it had gone
until it crept in 
to warm my brow. 

you know,
I awoke 
this morning
deaf to the promises
of last night, 
that old, bitter flavor
coating my teeth--
how I wish it'd take form, 
salty pebbles upon pebbles, 
liquid smooth, 
so we'd have a reason
to walk down 
to the river,
skip our troubles 
down the waiting shore. 

but 
where can I put it down? 
not now, 
in the intimacy 
of this shared silence--
golden-rimmed nostalgia
I cup to my lips, 
not daring to taste, 
to swallow. 

for now  
I will down my drink, 
chewing on the ice
before it starts 
to sweat--
and how they strain, 
how they bite me back.

Comments