where u at??

where u at??
twelve minutes past, 
I click my tongue 
tock-tock-tock
to the tempo 
of feet passing by. 

faces blur 
and voices mellow, 
like so many bubbles
fizzling away.
I'll press this 
day-old soda 
to my stubborn lips, 
leaving a swallow
if only to spite you.

twenty minutes by, 
with my 
blood sugar spiking, 
I line dance 
with the curb, 
hands full 
and brow tight.

your iced coffee, 
caramel foam no ice, 
bleeds through 
the papery napkin, 
licking my hand.

my green tea 
in the other, 
gone bitter 
because I realized
too late
to mix the honey
before drinking--
lapped up 
all that sweetness 
before learning
to miss its taste.

twenty-five minutes, 
perhaps I should go home--
put on a show,
drink your coffee too. 
have more self-respect
and ghost you for good, 
because 
all those lost minutes--
now I'm through. 

or maybe you've died, 
then I should definitely 
have your coffee--
surely the buzz of caffeine 
will keep my eyes open 
for your eulogy. 

after, I'll steal the food 
from the buffet, 
glare at your tombstone
because I deserve
nice things too, and--

oh, there you are, 
with your hair blown 
sideways--
undone shoelaces, 
doe-eyed with confusion.

your lips are moving,
I don't want to hear it,
and yet--

wait, what are you 
saying? 
I read the text wrong? 

we agreed to meet at 
three, no?

no? 

damn.




 







 

Comments