yakult

yakult
eyes drooping, 
I press my cheek 
against the 
smudged car window,
the chatter of āyí's ¹
a lullaby
to sleepy ears.

percussion for 
my melody, 
rain drums the
half-baked streets, 
washing away 
our trek to
the kingdom--
middle-of-nowhere,
left behind:

a world of
wilted greens strewn 
over cracked tiles, 
white at birth 
but gritty now--
the dirt 
beneath our fingernails.

durian candies, 
lychee jellies, 
egg tarts like 
melted yellow suns
tease my 
twitching rabbit's nose;

how I want to paint my skin
in all the flavors, 
smear the oils of 
crispy duck skin
and fèng zhuǎ ²
on my mouth, 
as proudly as mother
wears her red lipstick.

but for now 
we drive on the I-95, 
and in plastic bags 
our off-brand home 
awaits, 
steaming, 
for guilty teeth
to indulge. 

_______________________________
¹Aunties (in this context, refers to middle-aged women)
² Chicken feet, a common dim sum dish





Comments