Eternal

Eternal
Tonight we are together
on a boat in some distant cove 
whose name I cannot remember. 
The sea is pacified for now, it 
seems, as no creatures churn at its
deep blue waters--the time is 
ripe for you and I to drift 
aimlessly beneath this silent sky.

Tonight we are alone
and though it's just us riding atop 
the gentle waves, though the sun has 
set, leaving us safe in its shade--
something still holds us back 
from acknowledging the weight 
of our hopeful, hopeless hearts. 

Tonight we are united helplessly,
just two lovesick fools in misery.
Even when my pulse thuds with
the beat of your footsteps and your 
delicate fingers never stray from
my arm, you look up toward the 
heavens as I stare at the sea--our
little intricacies tearing us apart 
like so many hidden scars. 

But painful as we are, two dreamers
brought so near and held so far, I am 
content to stay like this forever, 
because tonight, the waters are calm. 

Tonight, we are eternal. 






Comments