Earth to Houston

Earth to Houston 
Houston, are you here
with me? You nod,
but your gaze is off, and
then you are gone, 
somewhere in a galaxy,
far, far away. 

Contrite, your chest
heaves unsteadily
and though your lungs 
put up a fight, your
heart has readily accepted
that you are so slight, 
you hardly amount to 
a speck of dust
in the starry night. 

I know it seems
that we are so very 
small, but even small 
things have a purpose
to call their own. 

Take the tiny cells
that make up our bodies--
though they are not alive, 
they let us thrive. Isn't
it fascinating to think,
that it takes an army of
tiny undead creatures 
just to get one of 
our eyes to blink?

Though it can get hard to 
breathe as you sit tight 
and try not to leave, 
remember that you
are here on earth, where
you are tethered at birth
to the land, to the mountains,
and all the sand. 

So take off your spacesuit 
and let your hair down
free, here on this earth 
you can breathe easy. 

Remember that I am 
sitting right by your side--
you are not alone, 
suspended in time. 
Cry if you want, I 
don't mind at all. But don't
go yet into outer space. 
I'm not ready for you 
to leave without a trace. 



Comments