You and I

                                                                              You and I

                 My love,                                                                               Light of my days, 

              It seems like centuries have passed,                                          I have lived countless lifetimes 

                since your last embrace, and   without you by my side.

    yet                                                                              I still think of you,

               some days and nights                                                               and I am tormented, 

                I am haunted                                                                           by your ever-present ghost, 

by your lingering scent                                                              that refuses to depart.     

                My darling,                                                                                I wonder,                                                                

        Do you still add sugar to your tea?                                         Do you still pick daffodils in the springtime? 

         Are you sleeping well at night?                                                Are you ever plagued by memories of us? 

        Do you ever think of the time we shared?                             I can say that you are always on my mind, oh, you,

     Are you still                                                                        the person whom I fell in love with,

          the person from all those years ago,                                           whom I once knew inside and out 

         whom I cherished with all my soul                                                   and whom I bestowed my heart on. 

I gave you everything,                                                                still, though I knelt at your feet, 

        bled a river of blood and tears, yet                                                 I wasn't enough for you, and  

            we broke apart                                                                                   our spark was snuffed


             Whoever you are now,                                                               wherever you may be, 

              Just know,                                                                       just remember I do not regret our time together,

             I miss you dearly.                                                                         Every day I will 

             Never forget to remember us,                                                       remember those glorious days, 

            how we danced fervently,                                                            how we trembled with laughter

          and cried 'till our chests ached                                         and argued under the moon's watchful eye,   

        

            together,                                                                                           relentlessly together,                                                        

      under the dying stars, illuminated by candlelight                                and in the darkest of nights,                   

     oh, those confusing, wonderful times,                                               we were drunk on each other's presence, 

    How beautiful we were, though wet behind the ears,                     just two children in love, flowers still in our hair.  

     Those first years,                                                                                   now it seems so long ago,

    I will never forget that smile of yours,                                          all those hazy times you snored on my shoulder, 

  how warm you made me feel inside,                                             how we would hold hands, fingers intertwined

  We two dreamers were immortal,                                              I could see us together, twenty, thirty years from now, 

   with nothing but worship in our gaze,                                      silver in our hair, and a never-decaying flame in our hearts

       But                                                                                                    alas, time wears down even rocks and

     In the end,                                                                                      we were just two birds on a swaying wire, 

    We were just two lovestruck fools,                                                 destined to part as soon as the wind blew harder, 

    two sailboats in a swirling sea,                                                          already fading fast without a reprieve, 

     

If only this world were made for you and me. 


                       


    

            


                       

    
            

Comments