Six Years
Six Years
When I was six years old,
I wore plastic tiaras and long dresses,
Short hair and muddy hands.
I fancied myself a princess,
So for Halloween,
That was exactly what I would be.
When I was six years old,
Days lasted for weeks.
When I looked at the sky, I saw animals,
A duck here, a rabbit there,
Softness everywhere.
When I was six years old,
I played for hours on my own,
and it didn't matter that I was alone
because I had big enough dreams
to fill my time and my home.
When I was six years old,
I didn't know what I was capable of,
And still I believed that if
I really tried, then,
I really tried, then,
I could do anything.
When I was six years old,
I was naive, maybe, but
so carefree,
I think my default emotion
was to be happy.
When I was six years old,
I don't think I ever imagined,
I don't think I ever imagined,
that to grow older is to be changed.
To be marked up with a red pen,
To be put in a line-up and rearranged.
Comments
Post a Comment