Nine Lives
Nine Lives
If I had nine lives,
As the fabled feline does,
Here's how I would spend them:
The first life I'd live out at the docks,
Where the air is cool and light.
I'd dip my toes into the sea every morning,
And spread a blanket to picnic each night.
In the second life, I would move to the city,
Where the lights are never dimmed.
I would befriend the pigeons and the crows,
And tie up my hair each day with bows.
I'd spend my third life traveling abroad,
Finding new homes everywhere.
I would work as a journalist here and there,
And note down generations of stories to share.
Lives four and five, I'd spend at home
Since even an adventurer needs to be alone.
I'd dream up worlds from the embrace of a sofa,
And admire the life outside my little window.
I'd live out my sixth life in the countryside,
Listening to the symphony of birds and bees.
I would tend to the chickens each morning,
And stay up 'till twilight to behold the galaxies.
I'd spend life seven as a doctor,
Navigating the crossroads of birth and death.
I'd be living for others--that much is true,
But at least I'd be able to help a few.
Life eight would be spent baking pastries,
Always smelling of coffee and blackberries.
You'd find me burrowed deep in my little café,
Hair a mess, but always smiling away.
Life nine, I would sail the seven seas,
Get so used to the rocking beneath my feet.
Every day I'd stare down into that blue abyss,
Wondering what creatures flourish below in bliss.
If it's possible, in every lifetime,
I'd like to find you one way or another.
And even if we live down, deep in the gutter,
I'd spend every second of my lives with you.
Comments
Post a Comment