Pawn

Pawn

Hello, you.

It's been ten years,

yet you are still haunting me.

I wonder, dear lover of mine, do

you still think of that day, that fateful,

wonderful, desolate day when we first met?

It was a stormy, horrid March afternoon when

we huddled together under your worn umbrella.

The wind howled and whipped at our reddened

faces, but I didn't care, not at all, because

You were by my side, and you were 

As radiant as the sun, 

My darling. 


Of course, you can't recall.

I wouldn't expect any more of you. 

I just wish I had known then, 

my ever-frigid king,

I wish I had noticed

that you never really 

cared to see me, 

to listen to me, 

to get to know me, 

in the same adoring way 

that I would always behold you. 

You know, I took it slow, one step at a time. 

I suffered because I wanted to become who you wanted to see, 

in hopes of that one day, when I would break through your walls and become your queen.



Comments